Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Comment On Purging......

No, not that kind of purging....I hate throwing up remember?

I would make a terrible bulimic.

But when I feel that I have collected a superfluous amount of stuff that causes my closet and/or room to floweth over, I have no problem 'purging'.


(My purge pile-went directly to DI by the way)

Not that I'm much of a collector of things. I was trained early on that things don't matter, and if you're going to buy something buy quality things and treat them well so they'll last a long time. When it comes to my stuff I have a theory that if I haven't worn something for at least a year or if it's been boxed up and I haven't missed it, then it goes. I don't care if it decreases the amount of clothes I have, if i don't wear it it doesn't count anyway. And if it's in a box and I don't even remember I have it-it's not being used anyway. Of course when it comes to journals or the few things I have from my childhood and my mission that goes out the window. Although sometimes I'm tempted to just toss away.

I think it's cathartic to get rid of stuff. As I toss out the old I'm literally getting rid of things that used to define me, to make room for the new person that I am. I feel clean and fresh and ready to move forward instead of wallowing in the past. I learn that I can do more with less and that I feel more complete when I'm able to move about freely in my own space. The feeling of walking into a clean room with everything in it's place is a breath of fresh air. It helps me to enjoy the silence and the peace. It's fantastic.

On a different note-the moose pants were an official casualty of the purge party. So long moose pants......

1 comment:

Tara said...

I LOVE a good purge! When I was pregnant with Stella (and for about 6 months after) I couldn't get rid of enough stuff . . . . and I am feeling that I need to do it again.

I've cleaned the kitchen out (a first round, more could go). I really need to de-junk the storage room, but first I need to clean out the guest room whih has become the dumping grounds for things I am not quite ready to part with (but need to).