Thursday, April 29, 2010

Comment on going off Diet Coke.........

I don't know how it all started. I guess it was the day I got home from Pocatello after my brother's wedding. I'd had yet another week of all you can drink diet cokes to help us get through the wedding fun. I literally didn't think I could drink one more-the thought made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I know, weird, right?

I decided that night that I wouldn't get one at work, just to help my body detox. Then I made the same decision the next night. By the third night I thought maybe I should try this out for a couple of months to see if I'll feel better, exercise better, lose weight, etc.

And so it began-and I have noticed a difference. I'm tired at work. Not tired. Exhausted. By 4am I pretty much want to die or fall asleep in my chair and I don't care who sees it! I barely make it home in the morning without killing myself or others. I don't know how-probably prayer or something. Yesterday I had to do this skills day thing for work and I wanted a coke so bad! I was tired and experiencing the worst headache and I knew I'd feel better if I had one. Of course at my greatest moment of weakness I was driving past McDonald's with their big $1 Diet Coke sign. I could practically feel the styrofoam in my hands and the burn in my throat as I imagined drinking that sweet nectar. But I held strong.

It might be a long 8 weeks.

I'm convinced that these symptoms will improve. I've bought some new drink mix-ins from Crystal Light like the focus one and the metabolism one, as well as some Energy Vitamin Water. It doesn't have as much caffeine as a Diet Coke but it still has a little-I keep thinking that maybe it'll help. It hasn't yet but I have faith that it will. Right?

Until my body adjusts I'll try to keep a positive attitude. And I'd just like to say watch out for a tan Honda CR-V traveling southbound on I-15 between 7:30 and 8:00am. If it's swerving a little it's me-just give me a wide berth!

7 comments:

Lisa said...

So I guess you are out on going to Micky D's for a liquid freshment after work huh?

Carrie said...

be strong...be strong...fight the dark side - pull out the lightsaber and invest in some lollipops, everytime you crave the nectar pop in a sucker.

Tiffany said...

I hear ya Jen! I continue to use working nights as my (well deserved!) excuse to drink coca-cola, the nectar of the gods. Thank you for sharing my pain, I'll NOT be joining you any time soon! ;0) Good luck!

Unknown said...

oh man jen i seriously don't know how you are doing it, Keep up the good work!!

Chris & Jamie said...

Go J's! I am on your side! You can do this!

Jenna said...

I think this DC hiatus will make a big difference. Hang in there! And for heaven's sake, call me! I cannot get a hold of you!

Jenna said...

Janice - I am so proud of you!!!