Sunday, April 26, 2009

Comment on a new reason to enjoy going to work....


The last few weeks I've looked forward to going to work with great excitement and anticipation. Text messages are sent and received all revolving around the same question-are we going to carpool tonight?

Yes, that's right-I'm in a carpool. I know it's hard to believe-I'm not usually known as 'one who likes to be driven around by others'-I'm usually the driver not the driven, but I have set aside the carsickness I get at the drop of a hat (or entrance into a car driven by someone else) all for the pure enjoyment of being thoroughly entertained on the way to work.

I carpooled awhile ago with a girl from my ward who worked on my unit, but then she up and went on a mission (the nerve!) so I was once again left to my own devices. I didn't mind driving to work alone-it allowed me to sing at the top of my lungs or make phone calls or road rage at people (and who wants co-workers to see that kind of behavior?). I scoffed at joining another carpool because who wants to give that up? But one day I found myself being picked up by a co-worker* and I was hooked.

The carpool is a mixture of therapy, professional advice, comedy hour, war stories and social commentary, all done while protecting environmental resources. Sure every once in awhile the carpool is kind of a pain when certain people* can't seem to get out of the unit in a timely fashion-and I have to go out and not use "my nice words" (that was an actual order given by one carpool member), but it's all part of the fun and excitement. I mean when you can be stuck in this for over an hour on the way to work and you wish you had been stuck longer, you know you've found a good thing.

Long live the carpool!!


*names of participants in the carpool are kept anonymous to protect the guilty

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen....ya little carpooler you! I'm so proud.... ;)

Shelly said...

i would move just so i could be in the carpool.

Erica said...

I am sitting here at work bored as can be and tarnishing my wings by playing on the computer, I found your blog. I am laughing so hard. You are so funny. Thanks for giving me some good entertainment for the night.

Unknown said...

I'm glad I've got some more readers and that I'm providing good tarnished wings material :o) Speaking of-that would make a good blog post.......

Brooke said...

hahahaha You make me laugh.