So I try to be more cautious about the movies I see, although sometimes I can be caught off guard, like when I went and saw Fool's Gold which was disturbing in an "I can't believe I spent money on this" kind of way. Which brings me to the most recent movie I saw in the theater which nobody warned me about:
You may be surprised that I would list 'The Other Boleyn Girl' under something I was seriously disturbed about, but I was. I mean I knew what the basic premise of the book was, I had read Shannon's review under her Movie Mavens blog and I thought ok, I'll probably see it eventually. When I came up to Pocatello my sister wanted to see it and so I thought hey, why not. So we went.I did get into the movie, and I was really enjoying it, as was my sister-who loved the book. We were equally horrified at the audacity of the men in the movie basically whoring out the boleyn sisters (the uncle was especially terrible) for the betterment of the family's social status, and Anne's treatment of her sister-and we made several comments throughout. I was thinking that I really should read the book because it was all quite fascinating-until near the end of the movie-when Anne full-on wants to have sex with her BROTHER, which Jenna informed me actually did happen in the book and possibly happened in real life because Anne produced a deformed child-but anyway I just looked at my sister with this horrified look on my face and told her that I needed to go home and watch a disney movie (it was close, we watched Arrested Development and Biggest Loser). We were going to stop off at the mall so I could get a temple dress on the way home but I didn't feel like that was appropriate after being so disturbed about the idea of incest. I mean seriously-I could have used a little warning team. In fact if anyone goes and sees any movie I would appreciate a heads up. On everything. And needless to say I won't be reading the book anytime soon, or ever. I mean seriously. In fact I came home and went back to reading a safe book, Harry Potter. Much better.....
4 comments:
what happened to only liking real things? and so if the incest really happened....j/k i think i totally blocked that out. but in hind sight, if my brother were jude, i might want to sleep w/him too.
Harry Potter sounds worse! No, I wanted to see that movie but maybe I don't. It sounds messed up. So Em finally called me back. You were right, April 7th.
Gotta love the "I have to go have a shower" feeling after seeing some movies. Seriously have you ever attempted to watch 8mm? Don't.
I see you still haven't blogged. I find THAT disturbing.
Post a Comment