
NuSkin Headquarters in downtown Provo, UT
So as you readers out there (if there are any of you left) may have noticed, I haven't blogged for awhile-I got stuck because I wanted to write this post but couldn't figure out how to connect a video from youtube. Lame excuse I know-but what can you do?
But I digress.......
Back in the day when I graduated from BYU, I really wanted to work for NuSkin (a multilevel marketing skin care/vitamin company in Provo). Don't ask me why I was fixated on NuSkin, but I was-no big deal.
I got a job in Product Support training the employees on the products and going out to do trade shows. Over time we hired 2 co-workers who have over the years become 2 of my best friends*. We had a good thing going there-pin-ups of Tom Cruise in our cubicles, taking naps under our desks (actually that was just me), hanging out at the pool (not on work time of course), lunch at Red Robin with the pina coladas, I mean seriously it could not have been any better.
Unfortunately the tides turned and things started happening amongst our happy little group and the 3 of us may or may not have started getting worked up about things. I won't go into details but let's just say that one fateful July morning (the 14th I believe it was), the 3 of us got our butts fired. Seriously-they descended upon us in a rage of fury-separated us (I was locked in an office-I know this because when they came to get me they couldn't get the door open) and then fired us off one by one. The phrase 'gross insubordination' may or may not have been used. Needless to say it was actually quite devastating. I realized that things had gotten out of control and I realized that I had been acting quite immaturely, and it was a hard lesson to learn, but it ended up being a really good learning experience. If I hadn't been fired I don't know that I would have served a mission or gone on to get my degree in nursing. And of course I can actually laugh about it now-especially when I get a message from one of my two friends saying that I needed to check out this video:
This would be my former supervisor doing a demonstration of a new NuSkin product. This used to be my job folks-I was all about getting rid of those fine lines and wrinkles. I think I've moved on to much bigger and better things. Besides, I don't think I fit the NuSkin mold-they don't want anyone who will rock the boat.
And as for what I've learned-it can be boiled down to the following:
1. If you ever walk into a room and you see your supervisor, her manager, and an HR rep, it can't be a good thing
2. Don't ever have long conversations about how bad work is on a work line-someone could be listening in
3. Olive Garden is willing to let you sit for 3 hours refilling your diet cokes and limes as you mournfully recount the events of the last 24 hours
4. Friends that get fired together, stay together
*The names of said friends aren't being mentioned to protect their privacy-but they know who they are
*The names of said friends aren't being mentioned to protect their privacy-but they know who they are
2 comments:
I can't believe it has been 9 years! Holy crap!
Your old supervisor looks like she is wearing a wig. Oh and she kinda looks like a man. Congratulations on the firing. It looks like a step up.
Post a Comment