Thursday, February 14, 2008

Comment on Valentine's Day

So today is V-Day, which really doesn't affect me in any way except that I spent my nap time (I have to work the night shift tonight, friday night and saturday night) lying on the couch (i.e. futon) watching one of my fave eps of The Office (the one where Jim comes in dressed like Dwight "Bear Beats Battlestar Galactica") and eating v-day candy given to me by Lisa and my aunt. Of course there has also been the v-day build-up where I decided it would be fun to make sugar cookies and give little bags of sugar cookies to my work friends, which is kind of fun. Reminds me of the days back in elementary school where you had to make the v-day mailboxes and get the valentines for everyone in the class. And then you would put conversation hearts in the little cards and you made sure to specially pick out the conversation hearts for your boyfriend in class. At least I always did :o).





Anyway the making of the sugar cookies requires a big build-up on my part. I've always made chocolate chip cookies and it's only in the last couple of years that I've started sugar cookies thanks to Steff's fantastic recipe and Grandma Mills' frosting. I find that sugar cookies takes a couple of days to do-one day to actually make the dough (which I did Sunday night while listening to Sarah McLachlan and the Indigo Girls which made me all nostalgic). The dough chilled on the deck all night and most of the day on Monday and then Monday night I rolled out the cookies, Lisa was in charge of the frosting. It was pretty fun. We put it all together while watching October Road, which is a great show that has great music. They used to play a lot of music from the 90's which I really enjoyed, they are kind of getting away from that but the music is still good. Anyway I put the sacks together and used the cards I made on Super Bowl Sunday. It was pretty sweet.




**My hair might be a little bushy in this pic, I have since gotten my hair cut-thank goodness!**

As I mentioned tonight I have to work which doesn't bother me to work on v-day, the only thing that bothers me is that I will have to watch the latest episode of Lost tomorrow instead of tonight, but no big deal. I'm going to show my v-day support by wearing pink scrub bottoms and a brown shirt. I'm all about dressing up for the occasion. Happy Valentine's Day Team!!!

**The finished product**

4 comments:

Jenna said...

So that is totally my favorite Office episode as well. And mom's top 2 (the other being the Sumo Wrestler Costume Incident.) I totally want some of your cookies.
And I got your Valentine's card in the mail! Thank you so much! I would call you, but you are at work. But the card is pink and brown, which is my new favorite combination! (As well as baby blue and brown. But that's not Valentiny.)
Everybody wants to see your new hair and dress. Please oblige.
The love!

Tara said...

I have to admit that I like the bat in the office episode--only because I too worked in an office infested by bats and it was a very scary thing.

I need to try your sugar cookies! They look delicious. Happy belated Valentine's Day!

Janey said...

I would have liked specific candy hearts picked out for me, or did you. I didn't read them!

Anonymous said...

You'll have to tell me where to buy scrubs in Utah....apparently your friend and mine, Andy thinks they are HOT.

I love V-Day cookies. Yummy!