Monday, February 25, 2008
Comment on 5 minutes in hell.....
Friday night Lisa and I went to a tri-stake activity. One of our callings is that we are reps for the River View Young Single Adults. There was a dance in the gym-I was not prepared for that. If I had known I don't think I would have gone. Anyway in the church gym there was well, a DJ, and some flashing lights, and well, like 30 people standing around. I immediately felt sick and was like seriously-I'm not going in there. I don't do dances anymore. It pretty much ended for me before my mission. Actually church dances ended for me in high school. Albuquerque dances were great-lots of people-our friends were the dee-jays and they played great music-I mean it was fantastic. But that was like 12 years ago team. That time for me has passed and I accept that and that's part of me knowing who I am now and what I will and won't do, and apparently, I won't do church dances. Period.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Its funny, its like you "graduate" from the dances, and then you can't stand them anymore. OK, maybe that was just me.
I know you and I already covered this subject, but allow me to reiterate. It's fun when you are in high school and spend half the time giggling in the bathroom. I think the fun stops when you leave your teens. I am now pushing past my mid-twenties. Attending church events where you've already been assessed and evaluated by the "church menu" and dancing bible-length distance from my partner in a 20% full cultural hall to tired 80's dance tunes (which always include The Chicken) with brownies and lemonade (which do not go together in any palate, yet church activities insist on serving them at the same time) served as refreshments is so not my idea of a good time. I'd rather have a good discussion with an intimate group of people. Or, you know, me on the couch with my dog and a DVD.
Oh my gosh! I was at a relief society social and some ward was using the gym for one of those sit against the wall and talk to only girls dances. They were playing a Rascal Flatts song and as I peered in, it looked exactly as I supposed it would. Maybe one or two couples on the dance floor, the rest just trying to kill the awkwardness. I was sooooooooooo glad that wasn't my ward. And by the way, I can't listen to that Rascals song anymore. The whole situation ruined it for me!
Post a Comment