So I was talking to my mom today and telling her my schedule at work for the next few weeks, which happens to include several 4-day work weeks. This is because I'm selling my body to the hospital for money ie working extras. I like the cash. My mom said I'm actually selling my mind for money. I think I'm just a warm body right now. Anyway next week I'm working 1 day and 3 nights-4 in a row. My mom said not to call them at the end of that stretch-when I inquired why-she said that I'll be a "raving maniac" by the end of the week. Huh....I wonder why she'd say that....
Back at the end of January I worked 3 day shifts in a row (which was taxing), and then to help out the department on a Friday that they were short on I agreed to work an extra half shift (just 7-1, I wanted out of there at 1-no more than 6 hours-they caught me on a weak moment giving a student a tour of the unit). It had been an exhausting week-I picked up a new primary, I had eagles flying around pecking at my poor primary and his mom, and I was trying to advocate for my primary like no other by well, talking to the rooster several times, as well as the bull (that would be code for Dr. Null Jane-I just made that up but I like it). By that last 6 hour shift I was, as I like to put it, NuSkin mad (that's another blog for another day). And then to top it all off the float pool nurse who was taking over for me was late-so I did not work just from 7-1, it was more like 1:30. Whatever.
So I took off with a goal to hit the gym and run my 5 miles, but I had to stop off at Wal-mart first to buy some deodorant-I was out. I called my mom when I left work to tell her about my week (according to my mom I was whining, I guess I get kind of whiney and ornery after working 4 days in a row, or so I've been told) and I was still on the phone with her when I pulled into a parking space of the Wal-Mart parking lot. I was sitting there talking when a woman pulled up next to me. She opened her car door and it hit my car, (my 'new' CR-V). Now keep in mind I was already worked up. So I turn and stare at the woman, she looks right at me and pulls her door closer to her and then opens it again, and it again bangs into my car.
I could not stop myself. I said to my mom 'just a minute'. I got out of my car and went around to the passenger side and said to the woman 'excuse me, did you just hit my car?' She said 'no, I don't think so'. I looked at her and then looked at my car door and saw a green mark on my car door handle, the same color green as her blazer. I said 'yes you did, look at this green mark here on this handle'. So she says, 'oh, I guess I did'. Now at this point I could not hold back on the diarrhea of the mouth that was about to spew forth. I came back with 'well, what are you going to do about it?' (yes, that's right, I actually said that). She said, 'well I guess I can give you my insurance numbers' and I said, 'i guess so'. Meanwhile I was inspecting the spot and realized that the paint was kind of scratching off so I said, 'well, it's coming off, never mind' (this was when I was starting to come to my senses) and she said, 'well i'm sorry' and I told her 'just be more careful next time'. And then she went into Wal-Mart and I got back in my car. My mom was laughing and she said that she couldn't wait to tell my father. Seriously? Then I felt really retarded, and I was scared the lady could really retaliate so I moved my car to a different spot. I really needed to get deodorant so I ran in and out of wal-mart as fast as I could and then I headed to the gym.
**Note the green mark on the car handle**The point of the story is simply this: 1. Apparently it's not good for me to work more than 3 shifts in a row, especially day shifts, hence me moving to a 2-night-a-week contract. 2. I have, as my dad likes to point out, anger issues. Although I don't think it's anger issues so much as it was tiredness but my dad still calls me every couple of weeks to see if I've had any recent anger management problems. 3. This kind of incident was pretty out of character for me. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.....
8 comments:
Bull! Creative. My room tonight had the potential for several eagle droppings, but I think they nested earlier in the day per complaints from day nurse. So I just read you comment on John's blog. You Stalker! My patient just tried to die on me twice. No big deal. Key concept: when they are grey, think bag and mask, quit with the suctioning. Have I ever told you how much I hate trachs. It might just be me yelling at people in the parking lot soon. No, I don't have an anger management problem like you. Oh and have I told you that my hands are cracking and bleeding as we speak. OWE!
Yes Jane, grey/blue=bad :o). That child struggles. I'm glad the eagle wasn't flapping around you last night-that is excellent.
Nice sanitized version, J's...:o)
what do you ean sanitized version?
So I think I'm going to have plenty of time to blog tonight. I have a one on one, who has potential of being a disaster but right now is status quo. Eagle was on the prowl tonight. What are we going to do when the Eagles fly south? Apparently they have to leave by the end of march or the bull, actually the rooster might eat them alive. Oh and have I told you how much I hate c-pap too! Those stupid hats were a bad purchase by materials management!
Give em' hell Jen! This made me laugh out loud.
Did you get my profusely apologetic letter? I'm so sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you.
The Eagle actually has a deadline? The Eagle was flocking around the room acrossed from mine most of the afternoon yesterday-the float pool nurse over there was complaining to my roommate (another float pool nurse) at teh end of the shift and I was like yeah, welcome to our hell for the last 5 months. Although once the eagle has flown the nest we'll have to find something else to code-word about :o). I also hate the cpap hats-my kiddo had one, and well, the 3 times I had to bag him before reintubating him it wasn't so easy to remove the prongs in a timely manner. Kind of annoying.
Speaking of a year- It's been like a year since you blogged. Check out dbalderson on you-tube
something like "E Boyz do rap"
Post a Comment